Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Obama Administration Refusing To Close Borders In Midst of Pandemic


During tonight's Presidential press conference, which is probably still airing now I just got too irritated to watch any more of it, President Obama addressed the issue of closing the Mexican border with the intentions of slowing the spread of the swine flu virus.

“I have consulted with our public health officials extensively…. At this point they have not recommended a border closing.... It would be akin to closing the barn door after the horses are out because we already have cases here in the United States.”

The key to keeping Americans safe, he says, is “great vigilance” and that “everybody responds appropriately when cases do come up, and individual families start taking precautions that make a difference.” He repeats what he said at the beginning: “It sounds trivial, but it makes a huge difference.” That is: wash hands, cover mouth, stay home if sick.

I find it funny that American families are being urged to use common sense and precautions when it comes to staying healthy, but our government is refusing to do so for our safety. Americans are told to "stay home if sick" but Mexicans are allowed to come and go across our borders as they please.

Common sense would tell me that if I wanted to stay healthy, and keep my family healthy, and a sick person came knocking at my door, I would think twice before I would let them run around my house coughing.

No Mr. President, this situation is not akin to "closing the barn door after the horses are already out". Closing the borders would be akin to closing the barn door before MORE horses get out. I don't know how common sense eludes Obama so. If you want to fix a flooded basement, you have to fix the leaky pipe before you pump out the water and re-do the walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment